Saturday, March 20, 2010

You're not pregnant are you?

You know, I really don't like this statement. It implies negativity, even before I have a chance to answer. It tells me that if I am, that the baby inside is already not wanted. It's already viewed as an inconvenience.

Then they proceed to tell say that I have shouldn't have another baby right now anyways! I need to get on my feet first. How much more on my feet do I need to be? We have a house (it's small, but more people have lived in smaller places), we have a car (will be out of the shop next week, insured, registered, and FULLY paid for) we have enough money to pay all of our bills, pay rent, and we have plenty of food to put on the table. What else do we exactly need?

These types of remarks form people, make me not want to even tell them if I am pregnant. Which I don't even if know if I am. I mean anything is possible with God, but we are not actively trying to have another baby at this point. We would like to wait until after Hannah's birthday, but we would happy to take another child at this time, if God so chose to bless us.

If I get pregnant, I want people to happy about it. I want to be joyful in my pregnancy, not sad because I feel judged by all those around me, who think that I need to get on my feet better.

So all this to say, that I much more prefer the question, "are you pregnant?" It seems more happy to me, and less judgmental!

2 comments:

  1. "Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate" (Psalm 127:3-5).

    I was also thinking that we are comparatively wealthy when you consider the economic state of the rest of the world. As far as I know the Bible actually doesn't put any economic requirements on who can bear children and who cannot. What it does say is that families are for children, and that they are a blessing from God. In a sense God is the one who sovereignly chooses to create a person. We are simply his tools and get to enjoy being a part of His magnificent purposes.

    If you begin to put economic restrictions on who can bear children and who cannot, you have now assigned to yourself an attribute of God by giving commands that God Himself did not give. If you say that a family should not have children until they have reached a certain economic status then many nations in this world become extinct. Are you willing to take that responsibility upon yourself to say what people should exist and what people shouldn't?

    This idea just seems to bring arrogance to the extreme. I am just content to let God be God, see these situations as opportunities to help others in need who have been blessed with children, and be thankful that God has made a way for me to be a blessing to others, and not give people a hard time because they need help with something.

    "But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?" (1 John 3:17).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep this short and sweet.

    Amen. : )

    ReplyDelete